FastStone Image Viewer
Despite its name, FastStone Image Viewer is more than just a program for viewing images. It’s also capable of performing a fairly significant number of editing functions, which come packaged in an innovative interface. It’s no Photoshop replacement, but we think it’s a good choice if you need a way to view images and perform basic editing and correction tasks.
At first glance, the program’s interface is a bit cluttered; there are toolbars with lots of buttons across the top, and there are panes where you can navigate to particular directories, view thumbnails of the contents, and view larger previews of individual images. The cool part of FastStone Image Viewer appears when you enter full-screen mode; the image is displayed by itself, but moving your mouse to the edges of the screen brings up a variety of tools and options.
Mouse to the right and the image’s metadata appears; to the left, a menu appears with tools for rotating, resizing, and adding text, as well as adjusting colors and adding special effects. Mousing to the top of the screen brings down a thumbnail preview of the current directory, making it easy to select a different image, while at the bottom of the screen there’s a toolbar with some of the most basic editing options. We especially liked the program’s slideshow feature, which makes it easy to create custom slideshows using your own music.
Although most users should be able to figure FastStone’s features out without much assistance, there’s a 95-page PDF Help file that offers plenty of guidance. Overall, we were impressed with the variety of features that FastStone Image Viewer combines in an easy-to-use package, and we recommend the program to anyone seeking a basic but well-stocked image editor.
FastStone Image Viewer installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly.
- Relatively fast HQ image thumbnail viewing, using Lanczos resampling algorithm.
- Support for multi-monitor configuration.
- Custom order arranging, via drag-and-drop, and automatic renumbering.
- Batch operations including rename and convert.
- Color space management (partial, it ignores the monitor profile).
- Magnifier lens.
- Portable version to be used without installation, typically installed on USB flash drive, including all user settings.
- Preview of quality loss when saving in lossy file formats (such as JPEG).
- If in fullscreen mode, pops up an image gallery, detailed image information, editing options, or program options at the border being touched by the mouse.
Other features include:
- Supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO, and TGA), with a focus on popular digital camera RAW formats such as Canon’s CR2 and CR3, and Sony’s ARW.
- Displays Exchangeable image file format (Exif) camera information.
- Thumbnail cache and database.
- Basic image editing tools: resizing, cropping, color correction, red-eye removal.
- Advance image editing tools: clone brush, curve (tonality), levels, and unsharp mask.
- Lossless JPEG rotation and cropping.
- Side-by-side image comparison tool.
- Fully customizable contact sheet Builder*Emailing.
- Memory card image retriever.
- Slide show, including music and many transition effects.
System Requirements For FastStone Image Viewer
Before you start FastStone Image Viewer free download, make sure your PC meets minimum system requirements.
- Operating System: Windows 7/8/8.1/10.
- Memory (RAM): 512 MB of RAM required.
- Hard Disk Space: 10 MB of free space required.
- Processor: Intel Dual Core processor or later.